Sunday, March 10, 2013

Paris: Day Two

Whew! What a day today! My first full day in Paris was definitely action packed to say the least. I'll work chronologically to recount all of the details.

First off, I woke up at 5 a.m. because my sleep schedule is way out of whack. Some of my friends from home were still awake though because they are night owls however, so I gave them a call using the phone in our flat because it is free apparently! Imagine that! So after I talked to them for 20 minutes, I decided to work out. Then I showered and got ready for the day.

At 9:30, we headed out for Notre Dame. The architecture of that building is so exquisite, it was astounding. Well really, all of the Parisian architecture is breathtaking but this was just magnificent.


   
After touring the first level of Notre Dame, we stopped and had a snack in a little cafe across the street. I had my second helping of chocolate croissant that day. It boggles my mind how delicious those little pastries are. Then we wandered over to the Shakespeare and Company bookstore where I picked up a copy of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It seemed fitting considering it is about the French Revolution and well... we are in France... But its really the cutest bookstore I have ever been to in my life. There was even a sweet little kitty on the top floor. I bet he gets all the love.

 
Next we went back over to Notre Dame and climbed the 389 steps to the top of the tower where we got the most beautiful view of the city. 389 steps is way too many. I was pretty much dying by the time we got to the top considering I had already done squats and lunges earlier that morning. We also saw "The Bored Gargoyle" who is supposedly the most photographed gargoyle on Notre Dame. Its too bad it was foggy outside otherwise you would be able to see the Eiffel Tower in the background a little better. Its maybe sorta visible...
   
After Notre Dame, we made our way to another cafe and had some lunch. My mom and I shared a plate of lasagna that was quite tasty. My dad had a bowl of French onion soup that is even more delicious over here in its native land. However, that was to be expected of course. Once we finished lunch we went over to The Conciergerie which served as a prison during the French Revolution. We saw the cell of Marie Antoinette and we may have even run into a medieval knight...
 
Okay clearly the knight was me in a children's costume. These are the kinds of stupid things my parents and I do. I wouldn't have it any other way though. Next we made it over to Saint Chappelle which was really quite beautiful. Many stained glass windows and wooden figurines. By the time we finished there, our energy started running on fumes so we made our way back to the flat to hang out for the rest of the day. This evening for dinner we had some real French cuisine. I'm pretty sure my meal was the best out of everyone's. I started with some escargot in pesto sauce, followed by rack of lamb with potatoes, and finished up with nutella crepes! I was so thrilled when I saw this on the menu because nutella is pretty much the most delicious thing ever. However, the crepes still did not compare to the nutella waffle I had last summer in London. That was really the best ever. 

Well now we are back in our flat and it is about time for bed. I will be sure to write tomorrow about more of my adventures. 

Bonsoirre!


No comments:

Post a Comment