Sunday, May 11, 2014

Chester to London, Day Four

Today we spent a majority of our day switching locations. We got up early, had breakfast at the hotel and then headed over to the train station. It was a nice two hour long ride from Chester to London, although we were backwards the whole time, which is something I am not used to.

When we arrived in London, we took a cab over to our flat and met up with the guy renting it to us. After receiving the low down on the place, we found a pub nearby and had some steak and ale pie.

While we were sitting at our table, I looked to my left out the window and saw a sign on the building that said "Alexander Fleming." I pondered to myself where I had heard that name before. I remembered something to do with penicillin and tried to read the rest of the sign, which was a challenge considering I am near sighted and wasn't wearing my glasses. 

I finally made out the rest of the sign which read "Sir Alexander Fleming 1881-1995 discovered penicillin in the second story room above this plaque." How cool is that? I was just sitting in the pub and looked over and it was like BAM! History. London is so cool.



The sign is the little blue circle on the wall. The window above it that is mostly covered by the flower pot is what it is describing.





Here's a close up of the sign. It's still hard to read though.
After our late lunch, we purchased subway passes, or as they call them here tube passes and grabbed some groceries for the flat. Mom really wanted to check out Portobello Street, which looked really neat when we got there, but nearly all the shops were already closed for the day by the time we arrived.


We walked along the street anyways where we found an Italian pizza place, which we learned only used ingredients imported from Naples! How authentic. It was pretty tasty, although I was craving some pepperoni pizza, which they didn't have on the menu. We settled for a spicy salami pizza.

After dinner, we walked to a couple of live music joints and listened to a few local bands. It was a very leisurely and relaxing evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment