Thursday, May 14, 2015

Spain, Day Six

Okay, onto my second post of the day. Today was much more relaxing than yesterday–thank goodness! I appreciate all that I get to see while I’m here but after that grand adventure, I just needed a resting day. 

This morning, I woke up a little early so that I could finish my homework before class since I was obviously too tired to do it yesterday. Then I showered, had breakfast and headed over to the ISA (International Studies Abroad is the company hosting my program) building for class. The walk to class was very pleasant since the weather is starting to cool down quite a bit. The high was 96 yesterday! Today it only got up to 88ish but that is still much better than yesterday. 

Today, we spent three hours in class! I have never had to pay attention to a professor that long in my life and it proved to be somewhat challenging. I thought Tuesday/Thursday classes at school were challenging during the semester because they were an extra 25 minutes than normal classes but those are nothing compared to our class schedule for this program. Although we only meet for class eleven times during the program, each class lasts from 10 to 1 so it is very draining.

We began class with a lecture about food from our TA who is writing his Master’s thesis on the food in Spain, which I think is incredibly fun. He began by telling us the history of Spain’s food and how they came to acquire certain things. For example, Espana is a word meaning the land of rabbits because they are apparently abunnydunt (see what I did there?) here and are used in many recipes. He also gave us a lesson on tapas. Apparently they were invented because people needed something to shield the tops of their cups from bugs so they made these small plates of food that would sit on top of their glasses. Although, my question is how did they guard the food on the plates from the bugs then? He had some really good restaurant suggestions as well, so hopefully I have more to report back on food-wise soon.

After our food discussion, we talked about the art museums; although nobody really had much to say considering we were all exhausted and pretty zoned out throughout the last half of the tour. Our professor managed to steer the conversation for another hour and a half though which was amazing since nobody was supplying much content.

After class, a wave of exhaustion hit me so I decided I would have a long nap after our lunch, and that I did. It was almost four hours long. This brings me to my palabra del dia. Since today was all about relaxing, the palabra today is "descanzo" which means "nap."

I guess yesterday really took a lot out of me and going to bed early didn’t actually recharge me all the way. So after my siesta, I just decided to relax all day and get caught up on my blog postings and this night’s homework, which is also consequently a blog post but in Spanish. If any of you guys know Spanish and want to read those, let me know and I can send them to you! 

So yeah, that has pretty much been my day. Sorry there were no pictures. I can take some selfies really quick if you just want to see my face but I just had a relaxing, get back to normal, recuperation day, so no pictures necessary for that. This day was definitely needed though since we have another long day tomorrow when we go visit Toledo, which will hopefully be very neat. Check back tomorrow to see what that was like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment