Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Spain, Days Ten & Eleven

I decided to do another combined post today because I am getting a little behind. Sorry for being such a slacker! We'll go ahead and do our palabra del dia early today because it's relevant to this. Today's palabra is lo siento which means I'm sorry. So, lo ciento for getting so behind on my posts everyone!

Yesterday was a rather difficult day for me because after this weekend, my sleep schedule got a little off so I had a hard time falling asleep Sunday night. I was pretty dead for class on Monday which isn't good considering my class lasts for three hours. Fortunately, my professor always gives us a little break halfway through the class, during which I took a power nap and pressed on through the rest of class. Needless to say, I used my siesta time pretty wisely that day. Much sleep.

After that much needed nap, Maria and I decided we could use a chocolate snack so we ventured down to a chocolateria called San Gines, which is easily the most iconic churros con chocolate place in Madrid, maybe Spain. They had all kinds of pictures all over their walls of famous people who have snacked in their shop. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize many of them.
Me in front of San Gines
The churros themselves were honestly just okay. This should be shocking considering I am a baked goods addict. I'm not really sure what it was about them, but they just tasted like they were lacking something. Obviously I still ate them all though. Definitely not the worst thing I have eaten. I would strongly recommend trying some just for the experience if you ever come to Madrid.
I thought I ordered one churro and then they gave me a whole plate of them! Couldn't let them go to waste though!
San Gines is located pretty close to a cute shopping street so Maria and I just started wandering down the way and we happened upon a really cheap bohemian-style clothes store where I found a super cute maxi dress for only thirteen euros! I thought that was a bargain made sure to wear it the following day (I received many complements). After shopping around for a couple of hours, we decided it was time to head home for dinner, after which I just relaxed in my room and had a nice long Skype session with my boyfriend, which was much needed. And it was truly very long. I didn't make it to bed until 4 a.m. so again, I was rather exhausted for class the next day.

Today, after another long class where I struggled to keep my eyes open, I went home and had a siesta that was as long as I had slept the previous night (granted I didn't get much sleep the night before but it was a rather long siesta). I didn't actually do a whole lot today considering how long I slept, but I can't say that I wasn't productive. Although I didn't spend much time in Madrid, I did spend quite a bit of time planning out trips to other places I will be seeing while I am here. I have officially made reservations to take a trip to Seville (here it is said Sevilla, pronounced say-vee-uh) this weekend, which I am rather excited about and I also booked a flight and made reservations at a hostel for Rome next weekend! I'm so stoked about all the places I'm going to see while I'm here. Speaking of which, tomorrow we are taking a class excursion to a place called El Escorial, which is this giant and crazy old monastery. More to come on that tomorrow though!

No comments:

Post a Comment