Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Spain, Days Sixteen & Seventeen

Another double post. Surprise, surprise. Sorry! Getting caught up is difficult. I guess I shouldn't let myself get behind too much in the first place. Anyways, Sunday was our day to travel home so it wasn't terribly eventful but there are a few things worth mentioning. We had originally thought we would try to go to mass at the Seville Cathedral and then head home but after our bout with the snails and shots the previous night, we decided sleeping in sounded pretty okay. So instead, we decided that we were going to go to that really old bakery for breakfast and then have our driver pick us up from there. Well. Things change. Our driver called us around ten and was like "So someone else is coming with us, can you come to the train station instead? It's not very far." So we were like sure. Then we looked up the train station and its a mile and a half walk from where we are! Normally this would be fine, but we had all of our overnight stuff with us, which was very heavy and awkward to carry with us all the way to the station. It took us thirty minutes to get there. I was not happy.

But we made it in one piece so I guess I can just chalk it up to extra exercise now. Our extra passenger turned out to be this hippie dude who goes to Berkeley in California. I learned some very valuable things from him. 1) He taught me to play chess on his phone, which was exciting because I've always wanted to learn how to play chess. Apparently I wasn't very good though because he stopped playing halfway through the game. Either that or he just forgot to play me back because he started talking about something else. He seemed rather scatterbrained. 2) He gave me some words of wisdom on how you just gotta do it, man when it came to me telling him about all the places we would have liked to travel to while on this trip. I thought we had done a good job to at least tie Seville and Rome into this program, but apparently that was not enough for hippie man. I told him we didn't have the time or money to go anywhere else, but apparently no matter what I said, his reply was that you just gotta do it.

The cherry on top of this lovely experience was that our driver got to the ghettolicious outskirts of Madrid, kicked us out of the car with little warning, and promptly drove off. It's a good thing they don't tip cab drivers in Spain, because this guy certainly wouldn't have got one. It was a thirty minute metro ride back into the city for us (about 25 stops). Kinda ridiculous. I was seriously missing our first driver who had the nice brand new car and had picked us up and dropped us off exactly where we wanted. But it was definitely an experience for the books. We made it home safely, and that is what counts.

I spent the rest of Sunday (and pretty much all of Monday other than going to class) doing homework and getting rested up from my amazing adventure in Seville. I definitely recommend going if you get the chance. It's like a beautiful little paradise in the middle of a desert-ridden country. So much good food and a very friendly atmosphere. Plus, all of the amazing attractions I just enlightened you on. I know I'll make it back there again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment